The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Attentiveness

My mantra for this month has become "be attentive."
After spending a week at the "Sowing Promise, Growing Leaders" event a few weeks back I became aware once again that I was caught up in the 'rat race' of life. I love the work I do here at Squamish United Church and I am honoured to work with such a wonderful group of people but even in the church we can get caught up in the rush.
As a member of the clergy Spiritual Care Network team I have entered into a Spiritual Practice challenge with 10 other colleagues. We are holding one another accountable to spending time in sacred practice every day for 40 days. The gift this has given me is attentiveness. I have become more aware of my surroundings, my colleagues, my work, my spirit, and my God. I have found I am no longer trying to figure out how to squeeze in time for prayer or practice rather I am longing for it. I have been refreshed and reaffirmed in the need to spend time with the Holy.
In the sunny days of October and November I have found myself taking glorious prayer walks in which I am blessed by the healing beauty of creation, as well as the spirit of calm one finds when they take the time to give things to God. I am more attentive to my breath and the life it gives. I have also become more aware of others and the struggles we all face. Two quotes from Peter Short are assisting me in being more attentive to others. As I look into the faces of those I meet I recall "Behind every face there is a soul at work" and soon thereafter I am reminded to "never look down on a struggle for life."

A few weeks back I asked folks on a Sunday morning what spiritual practices they engage in. I would love to hear from you what your practice is now or has been in the past. If you would like to consider joining me in the Advent season I will be offering an opportunity for SUC folks to engage in some new practices together, or on their own.
Together let us take time with The Holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post.