The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Show and Tell

I have been reading the scripture of Thomas asking to see the wounds of Christ after the resurrection. Every time I read this scripture I feel Thomas has gotten an unfair label. "Doubting Thomas" to me was realistic. He wanted proof - he wanted to know the resurrection was for real before he shared the good news. I don't judge him for that. He had journeyed with Jesus - he knew Jesus had rocked the boat of the authorities and they therefore were going to ensure he was good and dead so that his power was no longer an influence. I then thought about the emotion that would have gone through me if I saw not only the risen Christ but I also saw the scars and the wounds of the crucifixion. What pain it would cause to see the scars of deep hate and fear on the body of a friend who did nothing but love. And then I wondered what are our scars of love? And then I found this poem.

Show and Tell

If we showed you our hands,
would you find them nicked
from building houses for the homeless,
or calloused from using the TV remote control too much?

If we showed you our feet,
would you find them toughened by walking the corridors
of a hospice with the terminally ill,
or wrinkled by too many hours in the hot tub?

If we showed you our hearts,
would you find them broken over the struggles of the lost,
the little, the last, the least;
or would they be clogged with the plague
of our consumerised lives?

God of the empty grace,
show us how to be your witnesses.

Thom M. Shuman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post.