The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Pouring the cup of compassion

“Anyone who gives anything to the Divine will find that it comes back to them turned to gold” - Rumi


“Our lives are such that our deepest compassion and generosity often get masked by our frustration with schedules, calendars, and clocks. When this happens to me, I find myself becoming closed and selfish. Sometimes it takes a challenging or humbling moment to shake loose my tenacious hold on trying to get everything done on my carefully crafted timetable....Jesus encouraged his disciples toward generous loving and assured them that if they were generous in their giving that this same generosity would be the measure of the gifts returned. Their giving would be turned to gold. Compassion is like that. When we let compassion pour forth generously from us instead of holding back with meager giving, it can be a powerful experience. We often receive more than we give.” - Joyce Rupp


Breathprayer:

Breathing in: I will offer...

Breathing out:....Compassion this day


Reflection:

Hold the cup in your hands

Imagine God pouring love into you

Picture yourself overflowing with love and compassion

Now think of someone who is struggling

Let the love within you flow to this person.

Picture your love filling this person’s whole being

Allow that peace and generosity to settle


Scripture:

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back. (Luke 6:38)

Journal:

A time that someone compassionate to me that changed me was....

Where in my life could I show more compassion?


Prayer:

Holy One help me to notice when compassion is given and when I can offer it more freely.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post.