The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Soul Mending

As we continue through this journey of Lent I invite you to take some time to be aware of what distracts you. In the last few days we have been praying with 'consolations' and 'desolations.' Those desolations are the things that draw us away from God.
I invite you today to take another step in this. Is there something that you use to distract you? Is it go on the computer, turn on the T.V., listen to music, eat, clean? These things in themselves are not bad but at times we fail to stop and take notice. Take time today to change those distractions to times of prayer. Even if it is just for 5 minutes - turn off the T.V. or the computer, slow down - don't run out the door or whatever it is that 'keeps you busy.'
Spend some time mending your Soul.

1 comment:

  1. I have some difficulty with the idea that there is a God somewhere “out there” in space, and that desolation or other trials of my daily life can somehow carry me even further from this distant God. To my mind, the Creator who set in motion our universe (and probably many other parallel universes) is already deeply embedded within my molecules, enzymes and DNA. My task- whether at Lent or at any other point in the church year- is to seek out that component of my God-given inner being that is capable of unconditional love for humankind, and to maximize its presence in the way that Jesus has already exemplified. Desolations and many other distractions will likely distract me from this goal, and often I will fail, but nevertheless my Christian faith begs me to look within, rather than to scour the heavens for an anthropomorphic God.

    Roy Shephard.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this post.