The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Cluttered Cup

Just the word clutter raises a certain level of anxiety within me. As I sit in my office and look at the piles upon my desk I realize even though I attempted to de-clutter just a few days ago more items have arrived. When the clutter of papers begins to overwhelm me I know immediately that I need to look at the clutter of my life. Am I doing too much? And taking on things I don’t need to, worrying about things that are not mine to worry about? Today is about that inner clutter that bogs us down. Even good things in our lives can become clutter when they begin to overwhelm us. The clutter of life throws us off-balance. Today I invite you to evaluate the clutter in your life and assess what it is that you can possibly let go of.


Breathprayer:

Breathe in: Clear out...

Breathe out:...the clutter


Reflection:

Pause and consider what it is that clutters your life.

Pick up your cup and imagine it filled with the clutter.

When you are ready turn the cup sideways and imagine yourself pouring out the clutter. Empty the clutter of your inner life.

Pay attention as you turn the cup upright again and sit with the freedom of non-clutter. Allow it to pervade your spirit.


Scripture: Matthew 6:19-21

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matt. 6:21)


Journal:

Talk to God about your inner clutter.

make a list of the clutter in your life

consider what you could let go of.


Prayer:

Grant me oh God the strength to empty out the clutter and instead be filled with your freedom spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Come and Find the Quiet Centre in the crowded life we lead, from the room for hope to enter, find the frame where we are freed: clear the chaos and the clutter, clear our eyes, that we can see all the things that really matter, be a t peace, and simply be.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this post.