The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cup of Consequence


When the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to Jesus and asked for special places in heaven Jesus responded “There is a consequence if you make a choice to be with me. If you want the glory of being with me, you’ll have to take the suffering, to..” Jesus never claimed the life of a disciple would be easy. And we all know that life is not easy in general. Every decision and action we take will have consequences. Sometimes they will be good and sometimes they will be bad, and we do not always know ahead of time how things will turn out.

Just as joy’s and sorrows are mixed together so are love, joy, glory and consequence. Joyce Rupp speaks about the love of writing but with it comes the consequence of loneliness, deadlines, and pressure to look and do better every time. What about love and relationships, accepting to deeply love someone also means accepting the fact that they will disappoint you from time to time, there will be things in your life that you will miss as you commit to that person.

Even Jesus had consequences in ministry and longed for the cup to be taken from him in the garden of Gethsemane.


Breathprayer:

Breathe in: O God...

Breathe out: ...give me strength


Reflection:

Hold you cup sideways and consider some of your biggest life choices and commitments

Ponder how they are held intermingled in your cup.

What are the consequences of your choices that you find the hardest to accept?

hold the pain of those consequences close to your heart

Ask God to strengthen your inner being to accept those consequences and move forward in strength and courage


Scripture: Mark 8:34-38

“If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves, take up their cross and follow me. (Mk. 8:34)


Journal:

One of the joys about my life-choices is...

One of the sorrows about my life-choices is...


Prayer:

“Jesus, happiness and struggle were constantly woven through your life. Why is it that I want the joy, the glory, the good stuff, but I don’t want the sorrow, the pain, the struggle? Strengthen me and guide me when crosses such as anxiety, struggle, heartache, loneliness, sadness, time-crunches, and frustrations pervade my days. Deepen my desire to be your disciple.”

-Joyce Rupp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post.