The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Cup of Resistance

Joyce Rupp wrote “One of the most powerful teaching stories I have ver read is told in Jack Kornfield’s book. A Path With Heart. A father is away from home when robbers come, set fire to the house, and take his young son away with them. The father returns to ashes of his house and believes his son has died there. He grieves uncontrollably for many months. The son manages to get free from his abductors and find his way home. He knocks on the door and cries “Papa, Papa” but the father refuses to open the door, thinking it is one of the neighboorhood children taunting him. Eventually the son goes away, never to return.

In this story, the father resists the truth that can bring him joy and freedom from his loss because he clings so much to what he thinks is the truth. When we are in pain, we can easily live with illusions. We may think such things as “no one loves me. No one cares. I will never feel happy again. It was all my fault. I can’t do that. I don’t know enough yet” etc. The beginning of healing may be there, but we refuse to let it in because of our resistance.


Breathprayer:

Breathe in: Help me...

Breathe out:...let go


Reflection:

Hold your cup in your hands

Place one hand over the top of the cup.

Reflect on the pain or beliefs you hold onto

Recognize where they are resistances or refusals

to believe you are more

How do they help you from growing

and/or moving forward in life?

Picture yourself in God’s hands.

Loosen your grip on your worries and insecurities

Open your heart to trust

Take your hand off the top of the cup

and notice how it is open to receive


Scripture: John 11:1-44

Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, already there is a stench because he has been dead four days.” Jn. 11:39


Journal:

One excuse I live with for not living more fully is...


Prayer:

Holy One, uncover my fears. Reveal the thoughts and beliefs I need to let go of so that I might grow. Give me strength to work on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post.