The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Perfect Cup

“Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life.” Anne Lamott


“Scripture scholar point out that the verse, “Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect” has been translated incorrectly. The actual text reads:”Be whole as God is whole.” Wholeness implies a process, a gradual coming together into a oneness in which all the parts are integrated, but not necessarily perfect. Wholeness or holiness takes a lifetime of ups and downs. It can never be accomplished apart from divine help and guidance or without the interaction of our lives with others.”


Breathprayer:

Breathe in: Loved, loved...

Breathe out:....I am loved


Reflection:

Hold the cup in your hands and examine it

Colour, texture, painting. Notice if there are any flaws, marks, chips.

Now close your eyes and picture yourself being held in God’s hands. Imagine the holy cradling you, examining you and smiling at you with love and care. Imagine God enjoying who you are flaws and gifts.


Scripture: Psalm 139

For it was you who formed my inward parts;

you knit me together in my mothers womb.

I praise you for I am....wonderfully made.


Journal:

What are you expectations of self? Of Others?

What are realistic and unrealistic?


Prayer:

Thank you God for loving me just the way I am, help me to love myself also.


Today I will not criticize or find fault with myself of others.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely... so true about wholeness rather than perfection.

    Doris (somebody) a prof at Emmanuel some years ago wrote a book in which she envisioned God as 'womb'... 'in whom we move and have our being.' A metaphor that meant a lot to me when introduced to feminist theology. Another container... but a living one.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this post.