The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cup of Mercy

“The dialogue with God which begins with the confession of one’s own failures is not depressing; it is liberating. At last perhaps even for the first time, we have been honest with ourselves about what we are; and we have been honest with the one Person before whom there is no deception.” - Emilie Griffin


Each of us has imperfections, and failures and often it is those things that bring us to God. God is not afraid of our failures and is willing to meet with us and them. Jesus most commonly was in the presence of those who knew they were flawed. In fact it was those who thought they were perfect that he criticized and challenged the most. God does not expect us to be perfect God desires for us to strive for more and better for ourselves and others.


Breathprayer:

Breathe in: Held in your mercy...

Breathe out:...cradled in your love


Reflection:

Is there something in your life that you consider a failing?

Can you describe it in one or two words?

Write these down on a piece of paper and place it in your cup.

Hold the cup in your hands and imagine it is you.

Meet face to face with that failure

Allow your emotions to be present for as long as you are able

Take that failure and your emotions to God

Ask for grace and mercy from God and yourself

Take out the peace of paper and tear it up or even burn it as a symbol of letting go of this failure and giving it to God.


Scripture: Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

O my God, in you I trust;

do not let me be put to shame (Ps. 25:1-2)


Journal:

One failure I still need to forgive myself for is...

God of mercy....


Prayer:

“Wellspring of Mercy, you welcome me home.

You understand my human failings.

You embrace me in my incompleteness.

You help me move on from failures and defeat.

How good and gracious is your kindness to me.”

(Joyce Rupp prayer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post.